Saturday, March 12, 2011

Little Women

Little Women, I got to see this opera recently and I was skeptical. I knew going in that it was not your average melodic type opera, it was more modern and 20th century type music, if you're familiar with the composer John Adams at all, that's the type of music I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw, though parts of the opera were more modern music-y, and in 12 tone (if that means anything to you, it doesn't really to me) other parts were quite melodic. A big difference in the opera was that I don't really recall songs or arias that much as one might with other operas, what I did take away were there phrases "things change Jo" and variations of "things were/are perfect as they were/are" Those were the main themes focused on in this opera, Jo and that she wanted things to stay as happy and perfect as there were to her, and people in turn telling her that things changed and had to change. So I quite enjoyed this opera and I'd recommend it. I compare it to Aaron Copeland's music, I heard once that though his music was so modern, it was made relateable because he worked so much with folk songs, things that people knew, this opera's plot line is one that is near and dear and well known to so many, I think that's part of the reason it's so popular. Anyway those are my thoughts.

No comments: