Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Little Prince



"The Little Prince," I guess technically it's a children's book, I just read it a few months ago for the first time though and I loved it. I am now legally an adult but I still feel like a kid, I still want to be a kid. Come to think of that that's probably why I like this book so much; I want to say that the author, Antonie De Saint-Exupe, is the narrator, a person who doesn't understand grown ups.
If you haven't read "The Little Prince" I think you really should; it's not your average book, it's a bit strange and also very deep and insightful. The rough plot is that there is a man who's crashed his plane in the desert and while he tries to fix his plane he meets the little prince. The little prince is not from Earth, he's visiting from another planet and he tells the pilot about what's happened to him since leaving his home. As an art major I found these quotes especially poignant:

"I is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

and
"But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart..."


It's so true, our eyes are so easily fooled, we know this, just look at an optical illusion. Children are often pushed aside as merely being children, youth who have not had the education the elder people have had, but so often it's the children who have deep and wonderful thoughts that stop us in our tracks, until they learn to be like those who are older and 'educated.'
There are many more gems in this book but I'm not going to post them, you need to go get this book and read it for yourself.

No comments: