Tuesday, June 29, 2010

When one's thoughts turn to Anne... with an 'e'


I've been thinking about Anne of Green Gables lately, I think part of it has been a local tv station having promos for when they will show the movies. It seems to be a tradition for them to have a "marath-anne" every summer. I don't remember how long ago I discovered Anne Shirley and her imagination, but it was through the movies first. I enjoyed her life in Avonlee and while she was imagining the lady of Chalot, I was imagining being there with Anne; when Anne was repulsed by Gilbert's overtures, I was rooting for him. I eventually read the books and have found them to be a delight, who wouldn't enjoy more Anne?
So now when so many refrences to Anne keep popping up, I find myself debating a marath-anne of my own and whether it should be movies or books. Right now it sort of seems like the movies will win, at least I'll get to them first, there's just too many other books that have priority over Anne. I'm looking foreward to my marath-anne and I encourage you to do the same.
P.S. Beware though, ever since I first met Anne, I've been converted to Anne with an 'e' and A-n-n has looked simply dreadful to me.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I love the Anne of Green Gables summer marathon! it's been my favorite summer thing to watch since I was 10 or so. Ah... and yes, "Ann" is an awful name. But it just doesn't get cuter than Anne! I love Gilbert... still have a crush on that character. And probably my two favorite parts of the first one or two books/movies is when Anne gets drunk with her friend... hahaha.... and when Anne dyes her hair green! Classic!!

Melanie and Jake said...

Love the picture of my family there! I've never seen a marath-anne on tv but would sure like to! I love those movies. I've never read the books though. I think I'd better fix that.

jm said...

Yep Anne's great, you should read the books Melanie, they're really fun and then you can introduce your girls to them. I didn't mean to put a family picture up, when I was looking at the thumbnails I didn't see them there, lol.