Monday, May 31, 2010

Okra


Okra, I knew that okra was a southern food, a "soul food" even, I knew it was a vegetable and that was it. I had thought that okra was a type of green leafy vegetable...to some this may seem laughable but I'm not from the south and I'd never seen of okra, only heard of it.
This weekend my cousin came to visit us and he had seen a cooking show about it and he wanted to make fried okra (he's a budding foodie). Around here I don't think okra is something you can just find in any grocery store, I don't imagine there's enough demand for it. Anyway, my cousin's from a smaller town and we live in the city and so he got his okra and this morning they made fried okra.
I was a bit surprised to learn that okra was not actually a green leafy vegetable, it's green but it looks more like a jalapeno. I tried fried okra and wasn't really a fan but I learned something new.

No comments: