Friday, September 19, 2008

To Kill A Mockingbird

I decided to branch out and actually use this blog for more than just my English assignments. So for anyone's reading pleasure is my review of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. So last Saturday I was invited to see the movie To Kill a Mockingbird, I wasn't too enthusiastic about it but I knew that Gregory Peck was in it and so I figured it couldn't be too bad.(if you don't know who he is then look him up right now and then go watch one of his movies, Roman Holiday and Spellbound are both very good.) At any rate I saw the movie and I absolutely loved it, it was funny, persuasive and powerful. After having read the book I can also say that the movie does the book pretty good justice, I believe the author worked with them on it. I watched the movie before reading the book and I think I liked it that way, the movie followed the book quite well and so in reading the book I enjoyed knowing what was coming up and seeing what was in the book that wasn't in the movie.
Getting more to the book, I think Harper Lee did an excellent job in telling this story. I enjoyed the p.o.v. of the story, it's told from the point of view of Scout/Jean Louise Finch a sort of looking back on her childhood in the little town of Maycomb. The details were very vivid, and the characters well developed. I found my self hooked on the book and looked foreword to each 'visit to Maycomb'. This isn't really a technical review and I didn't really plan out what to say but I loved this book and the movie and I think you should go out and read/see them both.
One word of caution, if you're like me, you may pick up southern colloquialisms after reading this book

No comments: