Saturday, January 10, 2009

Girl Friday

I have never read the story of Robinson Crusoe, but I have heard, or seen various versions of the story. Crusoe gets stranded on an island and make the best of it, he has a native assistant, his man Friday, that's my basic understanding.
Crusoe is not the only one to have "man Friday"s; an executive's assistant might be their 'man Friday,' I suppose in my mind it's come to mean someone who's depended upon for things but that is about the extent of the relationship.
I realized that to one of my friends I was a girl Friday, we weren't always but of late all our talk was pointless small talk, it seemed like a combatant of boredom on their side, only when it was convenient to them, when they had problems that needed solving etc.I slowly began to get sick of having the same pointless and obligatory conversations over and over and began to resent being a fall back. I was a girl Friday and I don't wish to be that. It's one thing to do the duties of a Friday when there is a true friendship or relationship, that is what people who care about each other do, but when it becomes a one sided endeavor one is a Friday and the other a Crusoe.

No comments: