Saturday, June 6, 2009

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

I first read this book when I was in high school and I remember I thought it was alright, especially for a book I had to read in English class (I generally didn't care for my teacher's picks). I hadn't thought much about the book lately until my roommate was assigned to read it for her German class (unbeknown to me the book was actually first published in German).My roomie didn't like the book so much, and I was surprised as I had enjoyed it. Now that I'm graduated and have more time on my hands I decided to read it again and see if my opinion of the book would alter.
I still enjoyed the book. Siddhartha is the story of a boy who is seeking... I suppose enlightenment might be the best word, he wants to know and to understand things. Siddhartha is somewhat of a prodigy of his own religion, as a boy he has already reached the understandings of the grown men. Siddhartha wasn't satisfied with the knowledge he had and so he, accompanied by his good friend, go off and seek a different way.
I don't know that I really fully comprehend this book and all it's deeper meanings, however I enjoyed Siddhartha's quest for learning and some path of his own. I think maybe part of why my roomie didn't like it as much is because she was having to read it in German and the book can be a bit difficult to understand in English, I'm sure it would be even harder in a second language.
I recommend this book if religious philosophies interest you, or even if they don't.

No comments: