Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Ball of Fire"

I just finished reading Ball Of Fire, a biography of Lucille Ball, better known as Lucy Riccardo of the show I Love Lucy. I'd seen various shows and movies of the star's and loved her humor. If you are unfamiliar with I Love Lucy or Miss Ball, I suggest you try and find the set of the 10 funniest I Love Lucy episodes, you will laugh. Anyway, I've been a fan for some time and I'd seen documentaries about her before but in this book I learned far more about her and her life than I ever had before. It's sometimes sad to find out the truth about famous figures and how they might vary from those they portray and there was definitely some of that in this book. One thing that this book did for me was to drive any last shred of wanting to be a star from me; it's all too ironic that so many people dream of stardom when the reality is that most stars are not very happy. I also came to feel pity for Lucille Ball, hers was a very sad life, some of it by her own making, some of it at the hands of others. She was a very funny lady though.

No comments: