Saturday, February 6, 2010

Oil Painting

Before my oil painting class in college, I'd never oil painted before, I'd only ever painted with acrylics and watercolors. My oil painting class was more of a crash course, it's a bit hard to really grasp something in a class that meets twice a week for a semster. I meant to take more oil painting classes and I even was in two but I dropped one for a schedual conflict and the teacher of the second class had such a different phillosophy from me that I decided that I needed to drop the class, it wouldn't have been a good use of my time.
Anyway I really enjoyed oil painting when it was introduced to me. I admire the brilliant colors that can be gained through using oils. I did a few oil paintings in college but I haven't done oils for at least one year, probably closer to two years. The main reason for my not doing oil more recently has bee laziness. My paint medium ran out, I didn't make more. I bought panels last year, thinking that I'd do some oil paintings for my final show, the panels haven't been touched since then, I didn't put rabbit skin glue on them, I didn't put the ground on them.
In the last few weeks I've decided that I really want to start oil painting again, there have been various inducements to do so: better color quality than I can get from watercolors, and also from the frustration of trying to frame works on paper for shows ( They need to be framed and under plexiglass as opposed to oils on panel or linen which don't always have to be framed and do not require glass.).
I've slowly been getting everything ready to start painting again and in this process I've decided that I really prefer working with panel because preparing stretcher bars and the linen. Anyway there's still a fair amount to do before I can paint. I still have one more canvas to prepare, I need to make my paint medium and put rabbit skin glue and ground or gesso on my supports.

No comments: