Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Foreign Films

I just watched a French film and in thinking about that I remembered another movie that I saw one time at International Cinema. The movie I just watched is called Toi et Moi, or You & Me. Some foreign films are very similar to American movies and others are worlds away. Toi et Moi was different in it's little "dream sequences" for lack of a better term. I guess in France they have magazines where they include photo novelas (that might not be quite the right term) which are kind of like graphic novels and chick lit combined I think. Anyway one of the characters writes them and draws inspiration from her life and her family and so from time to time we would have sections that were photo novelas.
Anyway, in thinking about how the movie was so different feeling than American movies, I was reminded of Run, Lola, Run; a German movie that I saw at the IC. Run, Lola, Run is a very different movie, I personally thought it was on the strange side. Parts of the movie are live action and other parts are animated, the movie centers around Lola and something she's mixed up in (I don't recall exactly what.). Lola spends most of the movie running to various places trying to get the problem fixed. We come to the end of the plot and then rewind back to the beginning and it starts all over this time but with a slightly different twist, and this happens at least twice, possibly three times.
It's interesting how movies differ from country to country, and something that we take for granted in one country may not be there in another.

No comments: