Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Is Civility Dead?"

A week or so ago on the Today show they were asking that very question, "Is civility dead?" I didn't watch the whole story but they went on to give numerous examples of our society's lack of civility. Watching and hearing about these examples made me both sad and concerned. It's very true that we're surrounded by the lack of civility, from reality tv, to sitcoms, to the news, to traffic, etc. I'm guilty of incivility and I imagine that just about all of us are or have been. I didn't like what I saw, all those examples of how common incivility is, it made me want to be a more civil and civilized person, kinder and more respectful. Civility may be close to death but I believe that we have the power to change that and to bring back civility. Each one of us controls our actions and has the power to bring more civility into our lives. I was reading Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk from general conference and I think it is a good guide on civility. I'm working on my own civility and I hope other people will do so as well.

No comments: