Friday, December 24, 2010

A random and unrelated to Christmas post

My little brother is playing some computer game where I am repeatedly hearing a shooting sound -like gun shot- and I found myself thinking about the one time I went shooting. One of my friends really wanted to go to a shooting range so she, I, and a guy she was interested in who was also interested in shooting went. I'd never done it before but I figured it'd be no big deal, that maybe I'd feel like a character from my favorite spy show.
I really didn't realize how far removed it would be for me from the tv show. (I know that ought to be obvious but some things are only obvious when you've stepped back for a minute and given them real consideration). We went and bought a box of ammo and rented a hand gun, a .45 if I recall correctly. We put on our ear muffs/hearing protection and eye protection and went back to the range.
I hated going shooting
pretty much from the moment we stepped into the shooting area. Even with hearing protection, gunfire is incredibly loud. I wasn't prepared for casings flying everywhere as shots were discharged. I wasn't prepared for muzzle flare. I wasn't prepared for how terribly awful I felt shooting a gun. I took my first turn (we were sharing) and shoot the magazine full, by the end I was just closing my eyes and firing down the range, I could see the flare through my closed eyes. I just wanted to be done. Though my friend's friend thought I was totally lame, I conceded all the the rest of my turns, anxious never to do it again.

No comments: