Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Classical


I have found something interesting about classical music, when it's on all the time my desire to hear other forms of music fades away. I don't seek classical music out generally but when it's on I quite enjoy it. Over the summer I've renewed my love of our local classical radio station for many reasons, mostly ones that I hadn't noticed. While I don't generally seek classical music out, it is usually very beautiful and plesant to listen to. Another reason I enjoy this station is that the radio shows are interesting, informative, there's no ranting or raving about politics etc. I love that; I also love that they don't obscess about movies, tv shows or American Idol- which technically falls into the tv heading- they talk about news in the world, things of research or study, books even. I like that they relay the BBC, somehow I'm more willing to listen to the news if it's via the BBC, I think I trust them more and they cover a broader scope. One thing I really enjoy on this station is that they have a program where they discuss scholarly topics, things like the writings of German women in the 1800s, or the inspiration behind a play that's currently running, an art exhibit; call me boring, old fashioned or crazy but it doesn't really matter to me who's doing what on which reality tv show (although I do like So You Think You Can Dance), I like hearing a program that might open up a new area of interest or study, where I might learn something new and useful.
So here's to classical music!

No comments: