Thursday, September 17, 2009

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

I first heard about Mrs. Gaskell when I stumbled across part of a mini serise based on her book Wives and Daughters. After seeing some of the serise I wanted to find out what happened so I read the book. I loved the book and the serise when I got to see all of it. Last spring I was introduced to North and South via the mini serise made of it, I loved it so much that I think I watched it twice in about two days and it's a four hour serise. Anyway I wanted to read the book and see how it matched up with the serise, so after waiting for it on hold all summer I finally got to read it (who would have thought you'd have to wait longer for a book than a movie?). I liked the book, on the whole I think I still prefer the movie better, and I think it was probably easier reading the book having seen the movie and being better able to picture things. I love what a fiercly independent girl Margret is and how she's her own woman, and yet good and kind. I think the movie did a good job of adapting the issues of the book into terms that are more readily accesable to audiences today. It was also a bit harder to read about all the tragedies that occour to Margret and her family, somehow it's sad when it's seen but it takes soo much more to be able to tell how sad things were. I'm glad I read the book, I think I like both the movie and the book to the same degrees that I like the movie and book of Wives and Daughters.

No comments: