Wednesday, September 2, 2009

tea time


Along with yesterday's IKEA adventure, we also had afternoon "tea" at Elizabeth's Tea Shop(note the above picture is not Elizabeth's). It's a proper British place, with authentic food; I'm not sure if it's named for the Queen or just some Elizabeth. It's a charming little place and we got scones (or skons, as it was Britishly pronounced) with clotted cream and strawberry preserves and Cadbury hot chocolate. It was all quite good. Now if you're like me, many things British may be a mystery to you so here's a guide to British food(the little I know)
Scone: Unlike what I grew up believing was a scone (fried bread), an English scone is pretty much a biscuit(not to be confused with a British biscuit), there were different flavors, we got plain and cheese.
Biscuit: Since I brought it up a biscuit in England is a cookie.
Clotted Cream: This has been a mystery to me for ages, I simply couldn't imagine what it might be. It turns out that it's basically butter without much flavor (e.g. salt).
A Sweet/Sweety: candy, usually of the hard variety
Baked Beans: Something to be eaten on toast. I'd heard of beans on toast but I hadn't realized until I looked at the menu, how popular they were.
Crumpets: I didn't actually try them but they were round with holes in them and they might have been boiled or fired, I really don't know though.
Crisps: Chips, they have some very odd flavors over the pond, I think the weirdest was Prawn Cocktail.

No comments: