Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

So I've been reading books lately that were written in centuries past and in these fictionalized accounts of societies past I have found something that I envy. Moving foreword is not always progression and while I believe there has been a lot of progression in this world, I believe that there has also been some regression, or digression. In my post about the word 'lexicon' I mentioned that I was sad about the decline of vocabulary in this day and age, I also have been thinking about communication and community. As the world surges foreword in technology concerns for communication pop up, with our computers and cell phones more people seem to be chatting and messaging and texting while talking to people face to face is gradually diminishing, and I find myself mourning the letter. I don't really enjoy writing letters, but I like the idea of them and I love recieving them. A day in which I receive mail is always a little bit better.
Getting back to the point of this post, as I've been thinking about all these changes that I might long for in the world, I've wondered about how it might be to live in the world with these changes made and finally today I was reminded of something that I believe Gandhi said, which is that we should be the change we're looking for in the world. I've heard this quote before and appreciated it but today especially it resounded with me. I can't promise anything, but I am going to try and make those changes in my life and who knows, maybe if I can make the changes I long for happen in my own life then the ball will be rolling and others might follow my example. It's something to think about.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I love (writing and) getting letters too! It shows someone really took the time to sit down, think, and write you something. As opposed to a text message which, well, always feels a little impersonal...
Thanks for the post!

jm said...

Thanks for your comment!