Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lexicon, or "a rose by any other name..."

I have only recently discovered the word 'lexicon' but I have come to love it and I wonder why we say dictionary when we could say lexicon. Perhaps I'm unusual in my attitude towards words but I do enjoy them, I love finding a good choice word, such as 'elucidate'. In some of the books I read I stumble across these gems of words, I fall in love with the words and vow to put them into my daily use... and then I don't. I quite often forget about the word treasures I find but other times I've noticed that I just don't say the words, I might feel silly or out of place at the thought because such words are not common place. I loved sticking more intelligent words into my essays, even if I wasn't one hundred percent sure I knew what they meant, but somehow I find myself less certain about using them in everyday life. I suppose I will have to renew my efforts to improve my vocabulary and give it more use.

No comments: