Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy Independence Day

I really love the fourth of July, it's one of my favorite holidays. I love going to the parade every year, getting together with family and then watching fireworks. I'm not always grateful enough for this great country we live in, sometimes I plot of moving to Europe where they have quaint medieval cities and more art than you can stick a shake at, I think because I've always lived here I can forget the great things about this country. I think that some of the first times I began to comprehend how lucky I was to live in this country, occured when I was in elementary school. At that time there was some kind of war or disturbance in Bosnia and we had a fair amount of refugees at my school, one was in my class and his older brother was missing a hand because he'd been playing and found a land mine. It's sometimes hard to realize that things that happen far away are really real but that made an impact on me. I think these boys were Muslim and perhaps that's why they became refugees, I honestly don't know.
More recently it was brought to my attention that we're lucky to live in this country and to posses the religious freedoms that we do by a friend who's British but was here at school for a few years.
This is a remarkable country and it certainly does have it's faults but on the whole I'm very lucky to live here.

No comments: