Sunday, April 19, 2009

A visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses

This morning I guess the local Jehovah's Witnesses took it upon themselves to spread the good word to my apartment complex. It was interesting because my complex is predominantly LDS. I can't remember if I've ever had a run in with the JW's before, I know they've been to my house before and left their magazine Watchtower. It was interesting though to listen to them, the lady was showing us a scripture in John and telling us how the bible would lead us to eternal life. I confess I wasn't paying a great deal of attention, but her message seemed to be lacking and I was surprised that she didn't actually share the scripture with us, just read the highlights that she wanted to talk about. It made me take a look at missionary work in my own faith, I know that these people had the same good intentions as so many young men and women who go out to serve full time missions. A part of me didn't want to listen to the Jehovah's Witnesses but a part of me wanted to do so to be polite, I just don't know which would be kinder in the end as I have absolutely no intention of changing my religion. Something I did notice though, was the lack of the spirit in their message, for all their good intentions, the spirit is not with them, and a direct comparison was available as my home teachers came over right afterwords. Their message, oddly enough was on true doctrine. My home teachers had prayed and studied the lesson they gave me and they had the spirit with them as they shared the story of a woman who upon learning about the gospel, could not help but share it with all she knew, despite the fact that doing so was against the law where she lived. The woman was put in jail for doing so but by sharing the gospel further with the judge, the charges against her were eventually dropped. All I could thing about was the saying that "the truth shall set you free." One of my home teachers reminded me of something I love about this church: that we are encouraged to study things out to see if they are true and then to ask of God to know. I love that I am not asked to follow blindly or to take anyone's word for all of this, but that I can know for myself. I know that this is the true church because I have studied it out and I am glad.

No comments: