Sunday, April 26, 2009

Graduated

I am official, a bachelor of the arts, graduated from college. I am done with my formal education for the time being. It's really nice. I'm home for the weekend and I don't have to go back tonight, I don't have to get up at 5:20 and get ready to go to work, I don't have anymore homework or classes... It's a really nice thought. I get to work on my art as much as I'd like... what I've been wanting to do all semester. It's wonderful.
There are some con's though, like the fact that about half of my possessions are sitting in the living room from moving home. While I love my family, it'll be adjustment living with my brothers again... I'm going to be attending my stake's single's ward, which is quite an adjustment after four years of BYU wards, and now to a ward that's close to the size of my old FHE (family home evening) group. So good and bad.
My graduation itself, I didn't actually want to walk, I remembered it being really boring and a pain in high school and so I figured I'd skip it. My Grandma was adamant that I should and so I reluctantly agreed. I was only going to go to my college convocation but then I heard that President Uchdorf and Elder Nelson would be speaking at the commencement and so I decided I would do that too. I really didn't love commencement other than the speaking, there was a lot of standing and waiting etc, but the speeches made up for it. President Uchdorf got an honorary degree and then spoke and it was very nice to hear him and Elder Nelson, they both gave good advice, things like: continue learning, seek out the spirit and keeping it with you, and working hard but not being consumed by a career. The thing that made these especially poignant was that they addressed these from a gospel perspective, which is one of the great beauties of BYU. The next day was the convocation where Elder Oaks spoke, apparently he had a few grandchildren graduating from my college and that was cool. Elder Oaks spoke mostly about making sure that family and friends come first and are more important than ones work. I think that's part of why there's so many divorces these days, because people let work become more important than their families. Anyway it was nice, but I'm glad I don't foresee having to do it again. I will be only too happy to simply watch at my little brother's graduation from high school in a month or two.

No comments: