Thursday, July 30, 2009

Enchantment


This book is a biography on Audrey Hepburn, they've moved the biographies to a prominent position in the library and Audrey Hepburn is one of my favorite actresses so I got the book. It was really interesting to learn more about Audrey Hepburn and her life, I'd learned things here and there over the years and it was nice to have her whole life laid out with a little more certainty of truth than on a website. I think it must be one of the great ironies in life that so many people want to live like the stars do, when in reality the stars are quite often unhappy. Though Audrey was not the characters she played I think the sweetness and elegance we saw on the screen were not far from the truth. I was a bit surprised and disappointed to learn that she had multiple affairs over the years but aside from those she seems to have been the wonderful person I thought of her as. I was also a bit surprised to a good deal of her movies a bit snubbed by the author, in particular Sabrina which is a favorite of mine; stating that the characterization and chemistry both were lacking. Perhaps it can be chalked up to differences of opinion, or being star-struck, who knows but I though that the characters were alright and I loved the connection between Bogart and Hepburn and thought it was very convincing and much more so than that in the later version of the movie. Who knows.
I did really enjoy learning more about Hepburn's work for UNICEF, and how unselfishly she gave her time and talents and reputation, working very hard for children in desperate situations as she too had been in as a child.
Dancer, actress, fashion icon, wife,mother, humanitarian, beauty, Audrey Hepburn. She had quite a life.

No comments: