Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bookbinding

When I was at BYU I kept hearing about this bookbinding class, where you made books (as is stated in the title of the course). As a lover of books and from hearing rave reviews I decided that I'd take the class sometime; that proved a bit harder than expected as the classes filled up almost immediatly. After trying a few times I finally got in, I wasn't quite sure what to expect since the majority of books I'd encountered were machine made.
When I got to the class I loved it, tearing through (pun unintended) my assig
ned books, coptic, flat back and "sweet" I also made multiple other books on my own time, one I gave away as a gift which I regret now, I think it can be hard for people to realize the significance of being given a hand made book or the amount of work that goes into it. Anyway I enjoyed the class so much that I decided to take it again...sort of, because I had the same teacher as the first time 'round and she'd never minded if we worked in class or at home, I barely went to the class at all, quite frankly I'd only come for the lectures the first time I took the class.
Anyway I made a whole lot of books. The reason all of this comes up is that I just started using one of the books I made as a journal and frankly it may be one of the best books I've ever made, the front cover is a thing of beauty if I do say so myself. There is one halting flaw in the fact that I punched the covers wrong so one is actually upside down of the way it was intended but oh well. Oh and for those who are interested, this style of binding is called 'coptic' and is one of the oldest in the world. To learn/see more about book binding go here.

No comments: