Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Art and Movies

Art : It's feeling very daunting at the moment, however I suppose one good thing is that I've found a good answer when people ask me what I'm doing now, if I'm working etc. I say I'm working on building up my portfoilio, which I am and this seems to be an acceptable answer to people. Funny how saying the same thing can work one way but not another.
I am indeed building up a portfolio, I'm still working on a series, still waiting on my yellow and green paint, still feeling like something's missing or not right or something. I don't quite know what or why, perhaps I need to keep defining my goals and deadlines. I had been looking for competition shows to enter, and I found quite a few, but I don't feel like I have anything right now that's good enough to enter these shows. I guess I need to just keep working at it.

Movies: Well I already mentioned Slumd
og Millionaire in my last post, I thought it was a good movie and I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think I'll be watching it again soon.
Stranger Than Fiction: I was wary of this movie at first, especially because Will Ferril's in it, but it has grown on me. I first saw it with a group of people invited by my former roommate who aspier's to be a writer. I have long since given up my aspirations to write but I think my love of this movie might relate to my love of writng. This movie is about literature, well not entierly but it's a very dominant theme. I don't know if non writers etc. would enjoy it as much however I think it's a really good movie for writers or aspiering writers to see. It's quite funny and Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman are very good.
Guys and Dolls: I caught some of this on TV one time and I figured I'd see the whole thing. It seems to be one of the quintessential musicals. I don't know, I like it but I don't, it's borderline on way to cheesy but some parts are pretty good.

I've been working on seeing a lot of the great old classic movies, when I do that I tend to go through the library website and just reserve a bunch from the same actor just going on down the list. Right now I'm working on a bunch of Carey Grant movies. Grant was quite a versatile actor, he started out as an acrobat, he was also very good at comedy and of course he was quite well known for his good looks and charm. Look for more Carey Grant movies here in the future.
An Affair to Remember: I think I first heard about this movie from Sleepless in Seattle, the characters rave about it and so I put it on my list of movies to see and only just now got around to it. I really liked it, it was a good movie just like they said, but I liked it differently. In SiS they talked about the great romance and how wonderfully sad it was, and it was those things also, but I loved it for how comedic it was, there was a lot of fairly dry humor, which I love and so I liked that a lot. I think it's a movie that's probably got something for everyone, maybe even all those guys dispite the fact that it's a 'chick movie'.

No comments: