Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Reading

I read the book Love, Stargirl over the last few days. It's another book about, you guessed it, Stargirl. It was a fairly easy book and frankly it ought to be because I believe it's aimed at a pre-teen to teenage audience and I would hope that my reading level as a college graduate is higher than that.
Anyway, it's about what happens to Stargirl after she moved away from Mica, Arizona. It's an alright book but it was not as good or quite cohesive with the first book, that might be expected since this book came out recently and the first book came out when I was about half way through highschool. The charachter of Stargirl didn't seem the same to me, perhaps that's because she was telling not Leo but it didn't feel quite the same. After I read Love, Stargirl; I reread Stargirl. I think that Stargirl was written better, I liked the style better, maybe I could just relate far more to Leo than to Stargirl.
I don't know quite what to make of these books. When I first read Stargirl, I liked it except for the revolt against Stargirl. It seemed so strange to me that a community could be so similar, that diversity could be so frowned upon.
Reading the two together and having had years pass since the first, I just didn't really believe it anymore. I enjoyed the books but I found myself questioning Stargirl more and her motives and whether or not she really was this innocent and untouched girl she was made out to be in the first book. Maybe I'm just more cynical, who knows. Anyway that's what I've been reading and those are my thoughts about it.

No comments: