Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent

I'm thinking that I might cut back on my posting and go to every other day, I am loving doing this but I'm also neglecting things that a bit more important.

Anyway today's service opportunity is one that just about everyone is capable of and that is smiling. It may seem silly and too simple to be a service but it brightens people's days to see a smiling face, it might even brighten yours. If you don't feel like smiling you can fake it 'til you make it. At an old job of mine I was quite often in a bad mood and so at someone's advice I worked on smiling anyway and I found that eventually my fake smile turned into a real one and I felt better about life. So smile!

As for something about Christmas I've been wondering about the origins of a
dvent and advent calendars etc. At our house we've always had advent calenders at Christmas time to count down until Christmas, and I suppose that is really the explanation for them, counting down the days until Christmas. Apparently the idea originated in German, a lot of our Christmas traditions seem to have come from Germany. I leaned a different spin on advent calenders when I took German in 8th grade; I'm used to calenders where you do something different each day to mark the passing of the day, we have one where you put ornaments on a tree and another where we move Mary and Joseph towards Bethlehem. The calender that I made in my German class was a wreath with four candles, starting the Sunday after Thanksgiving you light a candle each Sunday until Christmas. This has been a fun tradition for our family, we light the candles and read Christmas books while they burn.

No comments: