Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, I hope that everyone has had a lovely day and that for those who celebrate Christmas, that the holiday hasn't been all commercialized, that Jesus Christ has entered into your thoughts amidst the presents and the food, etc.

My real purpose for writing may seem like a strange one given the day but regardless of how strange it may or may not seem, I have been thinking about composition today and I thought I'd put some of those thoughts down here. I don't know what the word 'composition' conjures up for you, maybe one of those black and white spotted notebooks or something else but for me composition is first and foremost the way a piece of art is designed or composed. In my various art classes over the years I was taught about composition and that by doing certian things, by planning a drawing or painting out before hand, I could actually make it better. I believe at first I probably was skeptical and probably didn't care to be bothered with something so silly... indeed there are those that have foregone that step entirely. Over the years though and through the classes I have come to better understand composition and to recognize it in works that I admire, even come to realize that the composition is part of why I admire one piece over another. It has been interesting to see how upon scrutinize a certian work or view, etc. could look vastly better if it were flipped around, if this part were over here instead of over there. I have come to see composition as almost the defining characteristic between a nice picture and a work of art. This feels a tad rant-like and I'm sure it is but it's nice to express things that you've been giving thought too.

No comments: