Friday, October 2, 2009

drawing

I decided to switch things up today and draw instead of paint. I haven't done a lot of drawing over the last few years e.g. since my last drawing class. I've sort of fallen out of practice, which led to disappointing results. I'll have to start practicing more, maybe the drawing I started this morning can still be made into a beautiful drawing, even if it's not one now. Maybe from now on I'll alternate days drawing and painting, that way I can keep from getting burnt out on one or the other. I also need to see about starting to practice figure drawing again, I'm hoping to take a month long figure drawing course next summer and I haven't done much figure drawing since the class I had my freshmen year. I meant to take more figure drawing classes but there were a lot of art classes that I would have liked to take and not enough room in my schedule to do so. Figure drawing is challenging both in the need to replicate a person well and in the fact that even the best models move and it's harder to draw something that's moving. An interesting thought, there's not a term for someone who draws, there's painters, printers, sculptors....have you ever heard of a draw-er?

No comments: